Just a word of warning to everyone out there..reading from my faithful old aromatherapy book I decided to apply neat essential oil to my cat’s chin which has been affected by a good old bout of chin acne. I had been cleaning it up until this point and whilst it did improve sometimes, it would then revert back to look pretty crabby. I started putting tea-tree oil on it and for a day or two thought I could see an improvement. I decided to read up on the internet and was shocked and horrified to see that cats in the US have actually died from a toxic reaction to tea tree oil and that on no account should it be applied neat topically!! Whilst Max is still bounding about and shows no signs of imminent death, his chin is still looking rather unsavoury and so a trip to the vet is unavoided.. however, this does highlight the simple facts that essential oils are not to be trifled with!! Don’t just assume that you will get up to date and correct information from a book (this book is a well known and loved albeit dated book) – updates are constantly being applied the more we learn about the properties of essential oils, so if in doubt, contact a qualified aromatherapist!